I grew up in San Diego, CA and then joined the military after graduating high school. I was a Chemical Operations Specialist for almost 7 years before getting serious about what I was passionate about. The Army had been good to me–taken me on a few adventures around the world, paid for college, taught me about life, and introduced me to amazing people–but, I had sat in the DEP Program at the age of sixteen and shipped out at seventeen years old; six years later, I was a completely different person. I was a dumb, young kid when I signed up and in 2011, I was an adult who wanted different things. By then, I had also started a family–with another soldier–and I never wanted my son to have to worry about both of his parents shipping out at the same time, ever again.
I initially wanted to focus on the culinary arts, food, and culture so even went and earned a degree in culinary arts before getting my BA in English. I eventually graduated with a BA in English with a minor in business administration, cum laude, the winter of 2015. I recently earned a MPS in Publishing with a concentration in Technology and Design from George Washington University.
I live in Killeen, TX with my beautiful family and work in publishing!
My love for literature and creating books/magazines started very early, and one of my regrets is that I didn’t save any of the books I’d made as a kid. I also wish that I had started this career sooner but, better now than never.
WHAT I DO IN REAL LIFE
- I serve the writing community as a publishing professional, wearing a few hats. But there’s one word I feel covers everything for the most part: editor. You can visit my LinkedIn here if you’re curious enough: Eleonor’s LinkedIn.
- I proofread write, edit, and assist. I typically work with book manuscripts and business-end documents.
- I design. I have my designs up on internet shops and even had a few put on hundreds of game mats. Cool, right? I also get to design marketing and advertising pieces and book covers. I’ve designed logos and brochures for organizations, too. My love is really in typography and book covers.
- I’m constantly learning, trying to be the best version of myself, and creating. I love art and working with creative people so I try to fill my days with both.
WHERE MY HEART IS
- Women’s and children’s causes
- Veteran organizations
- Art, creation, and design
- Criminal justice/true crime
TALK TO ME ABOUT…
- Shows– The Office, The Magicians, The Walking Dead, The IT Crowd, The Dead Files, etc. I’m a true crime nerd!
- Movies– I Am Legend, Hot Fuzz, Wreck-it Ralph, The Great Gatsby, Hunger Games, Moulin Rouge, Sucker Punch, etc.
- Music– classical and electronica are my favorites. As long as it’s not vulgar or yelling/heavy metal, I’ll listen to it.
- Books– I’m not your stereotypical English major; don’t talk to me about Jane Austen–ever. I enjoy thrillers and horror the most but to be honest, I like anything that makes me think critically or that is so impactful it makes me cry. My favorite book of all time is Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. “Annabelle Lee” and “The Lesson of the Moth” are my favorite poems.
- My weirdness/hobbies- I collect and love miniatures. When I’m not working or spending time with dear ones, you’ll catch me rummaging through thrift stores, yard sales, antique shops, and so forth looking for books and treasure; exploring towns and trails; and tinkering with DIY puzzle kits.